Sunday, January 13, 2013

Answering the good ole question--What are your weaknesses?


Chatting with one of my co-workers last week, we started talking about interview questions and our favorite ones. We both love asking the question “What are your strengths and weaknesses?” When I was at my last job, we interviewed a number of people, and I used to ask this question. I always wanted to hear what folks said.  A few tried to spin a weakness to a positive, which is something they always say to do, and some mentioned they were a perfectionist or their personality. I always believe that admitting your weaknesses is a sign of strength and reflection.

For me, I have a couple of them and they have changed over the years. I continually try to work on them all the time. One is taking on too much. At my last job as well as in my personal life, I used to do too much. I would over schedule myself and do more than others because I knew I could get it done and do it well. However, I wanted to push back, but it was so hard for me. Then, I started to push back; my old boss was okay with it and found someone else to do it. It felt great.  

In my current job, I’ve really tried hard not to take on too much, and it’s been great. In my personal life, I’ve stated to take more time for myself and it’s been lovely. Reading more, listening to music and just saying no to things has been rewarding.

Another weakness of mine is asking for help. I’ve been living on my own for six years now, and I’ve become independent in so many ways. My stubbornness has gotten the best of me sometimes, too. The last six months have been trying and given me time to be reflective. I’m the first person to say that things in life happen for a reason, but when it hits me personally, then I start to question why? There were times that I didn’t want to ask for help, but I had to and it made me realize that my family and friends are there for me no matter what. Subconsciously I knew it, but asking for help is a different story. I’m also that person who asks my friends if they need help or advice. The last six months have taught me that I need to follow my own advice.

As we enter 2013, we are all either making resolutions and breaking them or just not creating them at all. Two years ago, I made a commitment to read one book a month, and I did it. I loved reading and making time was hard, but it was truly rewarding. One of the books I read was “The Five Love Languages.” I learned that my top love language is quality time. I can definitely see that, so I try to spend time with my friends and family.

I read “The Happiness Project,” which was fantastic because Gretchen made 11 different resolutions. She concentrated on one each month, and at the end of the year, she combined all of them in the 12th month. Not sure if I can do 11 this year, but I’m going to make four. The key is to make them specific, manageable and realistic.

Privately, I’m going to set specific goals for each one, but I wanted to share with you the overall goals.

 a.) I’m going to make an effort to blog four to six times a month. Yes, I’ve been busy, but I need to create more time writing.

b.) Getting in Shape—Although this is a common one for folks, I’m truly committed to getting in shape and working out again. I haven’t been able to get to the gym lately, but I’m going to get back in that saddle again.

c.) Becoming more knowledgeable and religious—I’m not the most religious person in terms of praying, and I’m making that change this year. I have religious people all around me (dad, brothers, family members, and friends), and it’s time to take that jump. No one is pressuring me to do this, but the last few months have taught me the power of prayer and belief.

d.) Going Technology-free for 24 hours. I’m going to pick one day a month to go a full day without using any technology (TV, Computer, Cell phone, playing games on my iPad, etc.). Realistically, it’s going to be over the weekend. This will probably be the hardest one for me because I only have a cell phone to call people. I’m thinking more in terms of not playing Words with Friends or other apps on the phone or other forms of technology. This also means no Twitter or Facebook. Football seas will be the hardest because of football. Let’s see how this goes from now until September.

I’ve thought about adding more, but I know that I don’t want to push myself too much. Let me know if you want to join me with any of these four resolutions. Last year, I wanted to explore a new place each month, and that didn’t happen. Hoping that #4 will help me to do this!

So, what are your weaknesses, and how will you work on improving them this year?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home