Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day!


Everyday I’m truly thankful for my father, my family, and the 11 years my mom raised me. They both instilled in me to be truthful, loving person. They stressed education and following our passion in life. I remember in ninth grade, I was in Geometry. I remember sitting with my dad for up to two hours a night working on my math homework. I just didn’t get proofs. I dislike them and still do. My dad saw my frustration, and said that no matter what grade I brought home that he would be okay with it because I tried. He knew I wasn’t getting it. At that moment, I knew I needed to focus on my passion for English and history.

Before going to college, my dad gave me some great advice about working. He always stressed that I should show up to work early and never complain about staying late, which I applied in all my jobs. He told me stories about his job, and how it paid off in the long run. I’ve passed this advice to young professionals and college students. In each of my jobs, that advice has paid off. My co-workers noticed my work ethic and know that if I’m late, it’s for a good reason. In my first job after college, I used to show up to work 30 minutes early. I used to talk about football with the CFO. One day, I was running late because of an accident on the highway. I called and told them and they didn’t blink an eye. At the same job, I worked late for a project and they let me off the next day.

Everyday my dad’s advice or mannerisms show up in little ways. When my friends visit and they head home, I always ask them to text me when they get home. I want to know that they made it home safely. Last weekend when I was in SC, I asked my cousins to text me when they got home to Atlanta. I admit—I may have been a little annoyed when I had to do this in college and high school, but I understand my dad’s thought process. It’s all about knowing we were home safe. It gave him a peace of mind. My dad told me stories that his father told him the same thing (minus the texting). My grandfather told my dad that he wouldn’t understand until he had kids, and he admits that he was right.

Looking back, I’m glad that I didn’t complain too much because I’m doing the same thing with my friends and family. Friends, it’s all my dad’s fault. Blame him. :-) Just saying.

I know some of my best friends and family members have lost their dads, so today is a tough day. I feel your pain on Mother’s Day. But, what we all should be thinking about today and every day is how they live inside of us every day. Think about the advice, fun times, and moments you had and how will you share this with the special people in your life. Although Father’s Day, Mother’s Day, Valentine’s Day, and other holidays have become so commercial, it’s important to spend time with family and friends and celebrate life! Life is too short to focus on the negative things. Stop looking at things half-empty.  

I’ve heard friends say they had a specific life planned and it hasn’t happened the way they planned it, including me. But, I’m a true believer that God has a plan for all of us. Dad, thank you for everything you have done for me, my brothers, and our family. Your friends admire your courage, strength, and love you have bestowed on us and the people around you. You are an inspiration! Hopefully, I can follow in your footsteps.

2 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Salah Kidwai said...

Thank u Sabrina. It was very nicely written.I m very proud of u. Love Dad

 
At 10:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks dad! Love you too! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home